- 500 g Gray Mullet / Milkfish
- 1-2 tablespoons Lime juice
- 750 cc Water
- 2 stalks Lemon grass, bruised
- 1 cm Galangal, bruised
- 3 cm Ginger, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 6 cm Turmeric, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 8 Shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves Garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 Tomatoes, quartered or 10 carambolas, halved
- Salt and sugar
- Rub fish with lime juice and salt.
- Let it stand for 15 minutes.
- Wash and drain.
- Bring water to the boil and add all ingredients except fish.
- Simmer over low heat.
- When the gravy turns yellow, add fish.
- Reduce heat and continue cooking.
- Simmer until the fish is cooked and the spices are absorbed.
- Season to taste.
Original source by: http://www.indonesianculinary.com